Ingredients for Base:
- 1 Cup of Gluten free flour (mine was just brown and white rice flour mixed together)
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Xanthan gum (I always throw some in. I am not sure it really needs it.
- 1 stick of Butter, softened
- 1/4 Cup of Sugar
Preheat oven to 325.
Mix base ingredients together with a fork.
Spray the bottom of a 8 by 8 or 7 by 9 dish with Pam or Mazola.
Spread mix on bottom and bake for 20 minutes.
- 1 stick of Butter
- 1/2 Cup of Condensed Milk. * One small can makes 2 recipes. You can freeze the leftovers and thaw in the refrigerator to use for your next batch. And yes, there will be more than one batch! :)
- 1/2 Cup of Brown Sugar. I used light but I think the dark would make the caramel look better.
- 2 Tablespoons of Corn Syrup
Combine all filling ingredients in a saucepan and stirring constantly bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. I think it's a soft ball stage on a candy thermometer. You just have to be careful not to let it burn. It will be the longest 5 minutes of your life. This is my third batch and I still have trouble not letting the bottom burn even though I never stop stirring. When done, pour on top of base.
- Chocolate! I used those candy making wafers but you can use what ever you have on hand. Today I am using both light and dark chocolate.
Gently place chocolate on top of filling while it is still hot. It will melt from the heat of the filling. Spread gently. Cool in refrigerator before cutting. I couldn't get a good picture of the finished product because my camera wouldn't focus so close... three tries and then I had to eat it!
Enjoy! Just don't eat them all in one sitting! :)