Thursday, September 8, 2011

Another Mug Rug Adventure

I decided to join another mug rug swap through a blog I follow SewHappyGeek.  This was my second swap but this time it was not secret.  All the participants were partnered up and once I knew who my partner was I sent an introduction email to touch base.  When I didn't hear back for over two weeks I started to get nervous.  Then I got a reply.  She wrote in her email what she liked and I told her what I liked.  In the previous swap I did through flickr all the participants had a flickr account filled with their own projects plus a favorites link so you can see what types of quilts they like.  My partner...nothing.  This was really hard.  She did tell me she liked butterflies, owls, birds, and teacher themed things.  I had a crazy idea to use chalkboard fabric and my flickr friend Jeannie was so kind to help me when I asked for her thoughts.  She even mailed me a piece of chalkboard fabric from Florida! Thanks Jeannie! :)

Here is what I came up with.
I didn't wind up using the chalkboard fabric because it was a bit thick and I wasn't sure how the appliques would work on it.  I happened to have a piece of black fabric that had a bit of a shine so I used that.  I hand stitched the words to look like writing.  My partners name began with an 'S' so I put a large S on the back.
Now's here the fun part.  She bailed on me.  Now what?!  I contacted Jenna when there was no more contact from my partner because I wasn't sure what to do.  Do I still send it?  It was made specifically for her.   I was kind of bummed but then Jenna asked me if it would be ok if I swapped with her.  Her daughters name just so happens to start with an 'S'!  So I packed up my goodies and mailed them off to England.  This is the package I received from Jenna.
I just love it!  I've been seeing so many cute mug rugs made with Hexies and now I own one!  I am using it in my sewing room.  She also sent a nice piece of fabric, chocolate, and two pdf files of patterns she created and sells in her Etsy shop!!  Wasn't that so sweet of her to swap with me?  

I think I am going to go make myself a cup of tea and use my new mug rug!

Blessings friends,

0 comments:

Post a Comment