Friday, January 6, 2012

My Mantle Fix and Other News....

I know Christmas is over but as I was taking down my decorations today I remembered that I wanted to blog about my quick fix mantle. My husband took a 6 foot long 1" by 8",  stained it, and screwed cup hooks in the edge. Then we just laid it on top of the mantle and used clamps on the ends. You couldn't see the clamps because the greenery with lights hid it. I love it!  My kids have these adorable Christmas stocking holders from when they were small and they have fallen so many times Santa's head is scuffed, Mrs. Claus has lost a knitting needle, and Barbie has lost an arm a few times and this year she lost her head! :)  Now they can sit up there and pretend they are holding the stockings.  The  mantle stays in tack and I can just take it off and store it for next year. 
Yesterday was my Dad's 79th birthday. We celebrated with a trip to the audiologist to get his hearing aids checked and a nice lunch at Red Lobster. He's a pip.  After the waitress' delivered his birthday sundae and sang to him he said to me "Should I tell them the one I got yesterday at Bob Evans was bigger?"  He has such a good sense of humor. 
This is the third block I've made so far for our Wild Thread groups, block exchange.  I had a bye this month so I only had to make this one.  I like the way it turned out.  Hopefully it's owner will too!
My daughter made it to the Big Apple Monday evening.  She is enjoying the city.  Her internship is with a company called STUDY NY.  She got to use their industrial sewing machine yesterday.  She has been going on adventures and finding good gluten free restaurants and good coffee!

I best get back to taking down the decorations.  I hope you are all having a good week!
Blessings,

1 comments:

jaquelyn {mama thoughts} said...

Pretty quilt block! Love the colors. :)

Post a Comment