Sunday, January 20, 2013

My New Thread Rack

I saw this thread rack quite a while ago and have been wanting one ever

One day my daughter and I were at JoAnn's and saw this thread rack that was originally $30.00 on sale at 50% off. It had a couple of loose boards so I asked if I could get any additional money off and got it for $7.00!  

 I took it home and transformed it into this!
I took off every other row, turned them around so the dowels went straight out, and hot glued them in place.
I had a heck of a time trying to get out the staples that were holding the wood on so I bought a strip of molding for $3.00 at Home Depot, cut them using a little saw, and hot glued the pieces to fill in the sections where the other rows had been. I took off the two pieces of wood that they had for standing it up since I was going to hang it on my wall. Then I spray painted the whole thing white.
 Now there are 6 rows across horizontally along with a place for the matching bobbin underneath. 
Before I got my new Viking I used a Singer which I loved but the zig zag wasn't working.  It only had TWO bobbins. They were a special type of bobbin and even when I ordered the ones I needed they just wouldn't work correctly so I would have to unwind and throw away thread all the time. I have to tell you I am pretty excited about buying extra bobbins for my machine and never having to change the thread out on a bobbin! :)

Here's to happy sewing!


9patchnurse said...

Ghurl!! I can't wait to see that sewing room! I love this idea. I have one of those thread racks and love your modifications!

Zoanna said...

Brilliant, Kathleen!

Post a Comment