Monday, December 19, 2011

A Reindeer Mug Rug

This is what I made for our work gift exchange this year.  I had the idea to find a nice pottery mug and then make a mug rug to match it.  The more I thought about it, while I love pottery mugs, for the most part they are sort of plain so I found this mug at a local coffee shop.
I participated in a Christmas charm swap recently and used some of the fabrics for the top. I used fusible fleece for each side and then did diagonal stitching across to keep them together except where the reindeer was on the back. 
                                                                    
This is the back. I traced the reindeer onto tracing paper and made an applique. I wound up putting two pieces of fabric together, sewing it around and turning it right side out. I did it this way because when I tried the applique with one piece of fabric I could see the backing fabric through the white and didn't like the way it looked. I used a solid lime green that matched the ornament on the mug for my binding.
                                              
I bought a bag of Raisinets, put them in one of those plastic bags you can buy in the candy making isle of JoAnns and made a 'Reindeer Droppings' label for it out of card stock. I found a cute reindeer graphic on google and typed up the serving size and calorie count on the back.

Our gift exchange was done by rolling dice. It wound up that my gift was the last one opened so no one fought over it but I think the lady who got it really liked it! 

Blessings friends!



Please check out my Linky Party button to see where I am linking up!

0 comments:

Post a Comment