Thursday, December 30, 2010

Sewing Machine Silhouette


I am glad I can now show you one of the things I made for my daughter Jocelyn. I saw this here. Since Jocelyn is majoring in Fashion Merchandizing and sewing is her passion I thought she would love it.

I followed the directions that Jess from Craftiness is not Optional posted. Please check out her blog, she had awesome tutorials.

I found a graphic on Google of a sewing machine that I liked, printed it out and traced the outline onto the heat and bond. The fabric is from JoAnn's. I was trying to go for a vintage feel. On my first attempt I ironed the heat and bond to the right side of the fabric... Yeah, it doesn't work when you do that. Second try I got it right. Then... I tried to use the glass that came in the frame. It was the kind where the back sort of slides in. It was one I had here that I wasn't using. When I tried to push the back up I got it almost in and CRACK- the glass broke. I actually couldn't decide if I liked it better with the glass or not. Since the glass was destroyed, I decided to Scotch guard it to protect it from getting dirty.

You could use this same technique for other things besides a sewing machine.

Super cute. I think I am going to make one for my guest/sewing room!

Enjoy and Happy New Year!

3 comments:

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

wow, gorgeous fabric you picked out! I love how it turned out :D

Kathleen said...

Thanks Jess for the inspiration! :)

nissaMade said...

Found this on the "Oldie but Goodie" party. I just did something similiar but on canvas! And using one of those cutting machines.

Post a Comment