I've mentioned in a previous post about my daughter and her homemade pledge. Well, that got me thinking of gifts I could make for my neighbors. I came up with this idea. The best part? I made it ALL by myself. I even used a CIRCULAR SAW for the first time! That tool scares me, well that and chain saws - there is NO WAY I will ever use one of them. Anyway... This one is a smaller one that is battery operated. My husband says it wouldn't cut my finger off but I think if it is cutting wood I will keep my fingers away. Thank you very much. I also used a compound miter box, but I love that tool~ Ok here goes.
- Wine Corks - I actually bought them on ebay but if you drink wine and save your corks that is even better!
- Wood - It's called Craft Plywood. I purchased mine at JoAnns. I bought 1 12"x12" and 1 1"x36".
- Wood glue and clamps - I used a belt type clamp.
- Acrylic Paint
- Wine Corks
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- Rubber stick on Bumpers
- Ribbon to decorate - I found a shadow box set that had ribbon and cute buttons at Michaels.
1. I layed the corks out and measured. For the layout I did it was 7" x 7". I marked my wood and cut it out with the circular saw. Then I cut 2 7" pieces from the 1" x 36" using the compound miter box. The next two pieces need to be longer than the 7" to include the thickness of the wood on both ends. I believe the wood is 1/4" but check before you cut. My 24 year old was giving me advice as I was cutting and having to go back and cut again. "Measure twice, cut once." Thanks Tom. :) Sand down any rough parts where you cut.
2. Using wood glue glue the sides to the bottom. Tricky, but if I did it so can you. Then I carefully put the belt clamp on, tightened it and left it for a few hours.
3. Next I painted it. I used Bordeaux Wine - I thought it appropriate. The bottom doesn't have be painted great because it will be covered with the corks.
4. Once dried I hot glued the wine corks inside.
5. Place bumpers on each corner on the bottom.
6. Decorate sides with ribbon.
Neat gift idea for those friends and family who enjoy wine~ Enjoy!